It’s been a long time coming, but today we can proudly announce the launch of our very own mixtape series! Once a month we will be delving into the ever-expanding ‘Dubstep’ scene and all that surrounds it and drawing for the finest DJs, producers and label owners to show you our personal selection of the finest talent available. To open our mixtape series we hunted down one of the finest and most talked about DJs in the UK at the moment: Oneman.
Oneman is in himself a bit of an anomaly … It’s pretty accepted that to break through as a DJ these days you have to be a successful producer or have a heavyweight dubplate collection. That’s why it’s so encouraging and unusual to see a DJ like Oneman rise to the top of the ranks without using either. Pulling for his true love, old school 2-step and UK Garage, Oneman has firmly made his place in the UK through nothing other than tune selection and superior DJ talent. Holding a weekly show on Rinse FM, he recently hosted the latest instalment to the greatly esteemed Rinse CD series – a very envious achievement for any DJ. The level of his talent is pretty clear when you look at his achievements … no other DJ can claim to have been on Mary Anne-Hobbs’ show on Radio 1 without releasing a single record!
For The Daily Street 001 Oneman has blended a Summer selection of UK Garage and 2-step in the seamless style that he is renowned for. Perfect listening for the Spring/Summer season.
What approach have you taken for this mix?
“I’ve decided to go full out old school with a springtime UK garage mix. One to listen to in your car or outdoors, down the park, in your back garden, wherever … just a sunny selection, tunes I grew up on and tunes I only discovered in the last 4 years or so.”
Which track or mix is your personal favorite?
“I really love the penultimate and closing tracks, ‘DEA vs D-Front – Untitled’ and ‘El-B vs J-Da Flex – When I Fall in Love’ two sweet ‘girl next door’ vocals over twisted 2step drums.. love it.”
What did you do the mix on?
“I used strictly old wax! You will notice a bunch of crackle on the mix – sorry if that annoys anyone but I love the sound of crackle from old vinyl, a lot of them are over 10 years old!”
Is style important to you?
“I’m into t-shirts, thats about it really. I love a good t-shirt design … and a good t-shirt cut aswell, so much rigid shit out there, like i love Stussy designs but for me their tee cuts are the worst and i can’t wear them. That’s important to me, getting a well cut tee!”
What brand(s) are you particularly feeling at the moment?
“CTRL do the best t-shirts, I got loads. Mishka hoodies, Crooks & Castles hats, Levi’s 511′s, Reebok Workouts on my feet all day!”
1. Mutiny – Bliss (ft Mary Joy)
2. Operator & Baffled – Things Are Never
3. Baffled – Going On
4. El-Tuff Project – Drive Me Crazy
5. Abstrac & Lady Penelope – 10 Times A Day
6. Baffled – I Believe In You
7. James Lavonz – Vibration
8. Dub Syndicate – I Need Your Love (MJ Cole Mix)
9. DND – Pick Me Up (Sounds Of Now Mix)
10. Goldie – Believe (MJ Cole Vocal Mix)
11. Crazy Bank – Your Love (Chris Mac Mix)
12. Basement Jaxx – U Can’t Stop Me (Stephen Emanuel Remix)
13. D.E.A Project – Music Hypnotizing
14. Second Protocol – More Amoure
15. Ruffcut & Julius – Smells Some Green (Version)
16. Red Or Dred – How I Feel (After Hours Dub)
17. Colour Girl – Joyrider (Y-Tribe Vocal Mix)
18. D.E.A vs De-Front – Untitled
19. El-B vs J-Da Flex – When I Fall In Love