It’s been a little while since we last had Geiom grace our mixtape series back in 2010, so it’s with pleasure we welcome him back.
When Geiom presented us with mixtape 006, he had put together an eclectic selection of Middle Eastern music that was fascinating to listen to to say the least. This time round he heads straight for the dance floor and supplies us with a selection of “straight up grimey UK bass flavours” (in his own words). Presenting a mix at 140bpm is something that most DJs steer clear of these days, so it’s interesting to see Geiom step into the area for this mix.
The mix pulls in all of the current flavours of Bass music, but at a tempo rarely explored by those types of producers. Some classic Dubstep flavours find their way into the mix, bringing back memories of the deeper side of Dubstep being put forward in early 2009. Most of the tunes put across a much more abstract percussive arrangement, pulling influence from old Grime and reminiscent of what the likes of Night Slugs are currently pushing. That or the familiar swing of 2-Step beats.
This mix is pretty unrelenting from start to finish, keeping the vibes well and truly high throughout and would tear a dance floor without any question. Geiom has requested that we keep the tracklist a secret for now, to let the music alone be the sole factor of judgement. It’s great to see this side of Geiom’s selection and a welcome return to our mixtape series.
What approach have you taken for this mix?
Straight up grimey UK bass flavours.
Which track or mix is your personal favourite?
The tunes by Erra, Happa and Odyssia. I think the mix from Erra into Happa is a bit special.
What did you do this mix on?
Two 1210’s running a digital vinyl system.
Is style/fashion important to you?
Yes, but not as important as music.
What brand(s) are you particularly feeling at the moment?
If I mention some brands they need to be giving me free garms (!). The next Wigflex range will be deluxe, I heard they are printing up some silk for it.
What have you got coming up soon?
The rest of this year is looking fairly action packed, the highlights will be ‘Broken Endz’ on Sound of the Cosmos, ‘246’ on Well Rounded backed up with a Desto rmx, and the “Digitithe E.P.” followed up by my new LP, both on Frijsfo.
01. Trevino – Under Surveillance [Apple Pips]
02. Teeth – Remember [Signal Life]
03. Kahn – Polar [Electronic Explorations]
04. Geiom – Consequences [Unreleased]
05. Moony – Hot n Cold (SRC Remix) [Unreleased]
06. Erra – Smooshkin [Unreleased]
07. Happa – Wax [Wigflex]
08. CRT – Rockstone [Unreleased]
09. Geiom – Cashburnz [Unreleased]
10. Type Sun – Heart Maths [Unreleased]
11. Clueless – Dirty Angel [Frijsfo]
12. Geiom ft. Rachel Foster – Broken Endz [Unreleased]
13. Odyssia – Tribes [Unreleased]
14. Threnody – Radar Rhythm [Unreleased]
15. SRC – Snail Trail [Unreleased]
16. Chrome Hoof – Deadly Pressure (Mark Broom Remix) [Unreleased]