This month, West Norwood Cassette Library graces our mixtape series, providing us with a vinyl only homage to the legendary Relief Records.
West Norwood Cassette Library is definitely one of London’s more artistic producers and this shows not only in his productions or his record label under the same name, but by the amount of thought and planning put into a mix such as this. Taking the opportunity to display his love for Relief Records, WNCL has compiled this 22 track vinyl only mix that showcases his personal favourites from the back catalogue.
The mix itself gets a little loose in places, but that’s partly expected these days whenever someone does a vinyl mix and has no digital mixing aids. In the words of WNCL himself, it’s a “slightly bumpy, warts and all approach”. In an age where people often submit mixes made in Ableton so that they are technically perfect, it’s refreshing to occasionally ‘hear’ someone mixing.
Enjoy the mix and be sure to spread the word.
01. Green Velvet – Preacher Man (Intro)
02. Paul Johnson – Soft Spot
03. Joe Lewis – I Can’t Get (Get, Get)
04. DJ Sneak – Flip It
05. Trackhead Steve – Grunt
06. Louis Bell – Cross Over
07. Lester Fitzpatrick – Mental Hardware
08. Markey – Transmission
09. Mike Pierce – Assembly Line
10. Random Access DJ Tools Vol.IV – Muzik Box (Parts 1 and 2)
11. Bidi – Rock
12. L.A. Williams – Put Me In A Groove
13. Joe Lewis – House Beat ’95
14. Willpower – Mo Sax
15. Lester Fitzpatrick – Bird Song
16. DJ Rush – Playin’ Kinda Rough
17. Green Velvet – Untitled (aka Fake and Phoney)
18. Jellybean – Twighlight Dome Pt. 2
19. GU – Slam’em Mutha’s
20. Random Access DJ Tools Vol.II – Action
21. Vincent Floyd – E-Flat Groove
22. Paul Johnson – Y’all Stole Them Dances